Skip to main content

Northern Hemisphere Cooking - Cheesecake and Yo-yo's.

Isn't it the worst when you have yourself all set up with your lappy on your knees and the DVD is in and you are all ready to multi-task writing your blog with watching the last part of that Dragon tattoo girl trilogy and then you realise that the DVD remote is over THERE. I hate that. Anyway crisis averted and we can get on with the delightful task of discussing cheesecake and Yo-yo's or melting moments if you know them by that name.

Oh that's right it's a foreign language film. Darn it. Oh well, I read the books I'll figure it out.

I recently visited the superpower of the last century, the USA, it felt really quaint and old fashioned much as I expect parts of Austria feel - except without all the rolling hills and goats. At any rate it was very nice to be back in the States and to see my friends, co-workers and that orange cheese I'm so fond of.

I wanted to make something sweet to show my appreciation to my lovely San Diego hosts, Holly and Jared, and also I owed Kevin at work about a truckload of cookies for various "favours". I decided that I would attempt two different dishes - a lemon cheesecake because the only flavour that Jared seems interested in is lemon and Yo-yo's, because who in the world doesn't love shortbread sandwiched together with butter icing? No one.

My first challenge was in getting the ingedients. We stood in a very fancy, vaguely hippie, supermarket.

Me: I need custard powder.
Jared: ...
Me: (more loudly) Custard powder
Jared: I don't know what that is.

How do Americans make custard? Jared doesn't know and neither do I. Anyway it turns out that this:

The closest thing to custard powder in the United States
is basically the same thing. But without the lovely colour of custard powder. 

Me: I also need icing sugar.
Jared: Ic-ing sugar
Me: For icing, wait, frosting.
Jared: Nope.
Me: How do you make frosting?
Jared: No idea.

You make frosting with powdered sugar.
We got the rest of the ingredients with little difficulty as well as dinner which was cheese and chacuterie. Very French.

Lemon Baked Cheesecake (on Taste.com)
  • 250g plain sweet biscuits
  • 150g butter, melted
  • 500g cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice 
Grease and line a 20cm springform tin. I used one that was bigger and it was fine, but it would look nicer with higher sides. Preheat oven to 140 cel.
 
Crush the biscuits as if you were a dictator crushing the spirit of a long degraded populace. Crush them well, crush them completely, do not let one escape. Then pour melted butter all over them. Smush it all up.

We couldn't fight her.
Press the biscuit butter mess into the tin and push it up the sides and across the bottom evenly. You could use a glass to roll it on the sides if you like. Refrigerate and let the rising tide of the revolution cool down. 

Holly and Jared own this. Swoon.
Beat together the cream cheese, sugar and lemon rind in a KitchenAid if you have one. Pretend that you aren't aroused. Add the eggs one at a time and then the lemon juice - beat until smooth. Don't beat more than you need too because you like the feel of the machine under your hands.... 

Pour the mix into the prepared tin. 


Bake for 50 mins to an hour until the middle is set. Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven. They suggest 4 hours. Seems like a long time to me, especially as I took it out immediately.

Well cooked - but a bit on the flat side.
It was delicious, but the biscuit bottom was too thick on mine, that's because I had all sorts of ratio problems with the tin. It's nicer when thinner. Like Oprah. 

I also made yo-yo's too which are my favourite biscuit of all time. I love them. Crumbly and buttery and sweet. Excellent. I don't think that the Northern Hemisphere version was quite as good as the one's I make here and so here is my regular recipe. They are easy as pie. 

Yo-Yo's
Pre-heat oven to 180cel

300g plain flour
300g soft butter
100g icing sugar (powdered sugar if you're American)
100g Custard Powder (Corn Starch)

Mix all these ingredients together until they are a loveable, malleable, buttery dough. Form small balls (a teaspoon worth - they are better smaller) place them in a tray and squash them with a fork. Gently.

Bake them for about 10 to 15 mins until they are slightly darker. When they are cool sandwich them together with frosting or icing or anything sticky and delicious. You'll thank me.

Nom nom nom
The feedback from the American test eating audience was positive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m