Skip to main content

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science.


In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know.


We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once".

We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from the Universe. That's a pretty harsh way to look at it, especially if you are childless, which I was not. I already had Gabe so I was in a pretty good position truth be told. But... but... I wanted another child and there ain't no logic to that - it is the strongest imperative that we have as humans. So my liberal minded, what about the planet, no interference issues went out the window and lay on the sidewalk. I didn't go get them again.
There is a keep calm for everything.
We visited with Monash IVF - the basically the best in the world at this. They were very nice and very conservative in their estimates for success. We had to be "realistic".

"I will do one round and no more" I stated. My baby Dr (Dr Nick), smiled at me in a way that indicated he had heard this before.

"No, I mean it, I have no intention of doing more than one".

"That's a good plan" he says, smiling that smile - still.

That is someone called Jakob and not my Doctor, but it's a good approximation of the smile.
So, police checks and children checks and health checks and money money money. Not my money, lets be truthful, just lots of it.

At the end of 2014, I underwent the process required to release lotsa eggs. They pump you full of this drug that puts all your eggs in one basket - or two, so to speak. You inject yourself each day in the stomach - and then around the ninth day you give yourself the BIG injection (same size as the others - double dose) and then you have blood tests to see if you are ready to go.

Lots of eggs, very good. Few eggs, very bad.
Then it's time of the harvest. So, what do they want? Well, at least 12 eggs. I only had 11 follicles so that meant that the best I would offer up is 11.

That was still ok Dr Nick had said.
Let's just see what we get Dr Nick said
Let's not count our chickens (he may as well have said).

The harvesting. An artistic rendering.
Two eggs.

So. You see, we knew that it was over. The whole endeavour was over. Two eggs was a hopeless position. We knew in the way that the nurses looked at us and the sound of Dr Nick's voice.

They called the next day to tell us that only one had fertilised. One. We had one embryo. Fab and I looked at each other and we looked away and we prepared ourselves.
  • They grew it to a 5 day blastocyst. 
  • They biopsied it. 
  • The biopsy came back fine. 
  • They froze it. 
  • They unfroze it 2 months later. 
  • They put her inside me (see what I did there.. changed it to her). 
  • They called me two weeks later to tell me I was pregnant. 
On November 1, 2015 Katarina Clelie Kahwati was born.

10 minutes old.
So, folks, I was cooking - it was a complicated process and I didn't think that I would be able to do it. In fact I was positive that I couldn't. Lucky for Fabian and I there was a tiny little girl that was so strong, healthy and ready to be born that she proved us wrong at every turn.

2 months old and a delight.
 We love her, we are blessed, we are grateful. Thank you Universe. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m