Skip to main content

Wot a lovely pear..

It's hard not to make that joke when you are cooking with pears, I don't want to cater to the lowest common denominator, but let's face it, boob jokes are funny and allusions to them are side splitting.

On with the pears. I love cakes with fruit in them. I say this a lot, because it is true a lot of the time. I am not mad on things like prunes in cake (clammy and weirdly "elderly" tasting - I expect to like them more when over 70), but most fresh fruit gets a thumbs up. I also really like upside down cakes, because there is a sort of theatrical style reveal at the end. Not only will there be cake, but there is also an element of excitement as to how it will look, how it will set and whether it will come out of the tin. Granted the last one is edging towards the terror end of the excitement scale. But it's still on the scale.

Gabe has show no interest in the three pears sitting on the side board until the split second that I started to peel them for this recipe.

Gabe: Can I have a pear?
Me: I need them love.
Gabe: Can I please have a pear?
Me: Can you wait until I see what I have left over?
Gabe: Can I have this bit?
Me: That is a whole pear.
Gabe: Can I have it?

And on and on we went. He got one slice out of me and eventually, when I was done with the pears, a half a pear, which was pretty good booty as far as he was concerned. We are pirate oriented here at the moment. Booty is just one of the words being bandied about.  Also "Harrr Harrr" - swarthy pirate laugh and "Me Hearties!" - swarthy pirate chitchat. Gabe tried to get Skywalker to stand jauntily on his shoulder as he stalks around. Skywalker is Daddy's budgerigar - and he is a most intractable creature. Grouchy, bitey and noisy - jaunty, he ain't.  

"I WILL NOT look at you. I can't bear the sight of you. How dare you ask me to say "Pieces if eight", like I was some performing MONKEY"
Budgerigars are a wee native parrot that fly in majestic flocks in the outback of Australia - from that distance you can't tell that they are assholes. But they are.

So, I am making a ginger and pear upside down cake, and it's a lovely, humble piece of work, it's your quiet achiever of cakes. It also looks great when you turn it out depending on the kind of design that you have worked in pear. I favour Rothko myself.

The Recipe - (Not sure where this is from, it's a cut out in my recipe book)
2 cups of firmly packed brown sugar
250 g butter, melted and cooled
3 Packam pears- or Bosc. (about 500 grams) peeled, cored and sliced - not too thin, maybe 1cm thickness
1 cup Golden Syrup
2 eggs
1 Tsp bicarb of soda
2 1/2 cups of plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Mixed Spice
200 g light sour cream.

Preheat the oven to 140 - nice and low. This is a slow burn proposition- like that librarian you have your eye on.

Line a 23 cm cake tin of some description. They want a square one here and I don't have one of that size so I went for round and silicon. There is clearly some conspiracy afoot by the various cake tin companies to make us buy as many cake tins as possible. Well, they can't make me. I'll make a square cake in a round tin in heartbeat.

Spread half a cup of the brown sugar on the base of the tin and then swoosh 1/3 cup of butter over that. Then arrange the piece of pear over that sugary mess. As I mentioned this is the opportunity to go on a creative journey - or write a cute message or hide a file. Whichever.

Nestled. Cuddled up together, if you will.
Place the remaining butter in a bowl and whisk in all the remaining ingredients leaving the sour cream to last. Stir the sour cream in. Not sure why, but it will have something to do with air and lightness and other scientific things.

Light and creamy looking - yummy too.
Whilst I was doing this my camera was doing this:

Not a cake.
That is a cubby. That's what Gabe was doing whilst I was baking. Obviously he thought the cubby was so awesome that he took my phone from next to me, snapped a photo to preserve the moment and then put the phone back without me knowing. On the top there is a pillow from my bed.

After you have had a look at the cubby and admired it and said "Is that my pillow?", put the cake in the oven and leave it for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Check it from time to time. I looked at mine at the 1 hour mark and it was still very wobbly. I jabbed at it 20 mins later and it was perfect.

That colour, those eyes!
Let it stand and be gorgeous for about 10 minutes because it is literally TO HOT TO HANDLE! Then gently turn it out. To whit:

You're a vision Madam!

It is delicious when warm, so eat it immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m