Skip to main content

New Skillz

I had mistakenly left the "s" off "Skillz" in the title, thus it read "New Killz" - which looks like a blog post title that some sort of annoying Gen Y contract killer would leave. As it is I am just an annoying Gen X food blogger aping Gen Y. So who's clever now eh? Hard to tell.

I learned new things this month - My friend CC and I had decided many many many months ago to do a "Cupcake Masterclass". Sounds fairly splendid doesn't it? It took us a while to actually get there, we had some, ahem, issues getting a booking and then some hilarious misunderstandings and then some recriminations and then some tears and then some sulky apologies and eventually we were all friends again.

I did not make this, but God, how I wish I did...
I was under the impression that we would bake a cupcake and then decorate it, but it was pretty clear when we mounted the stairs and were looking at rows and rows of naked cupcakes that we would be decorating only. Suited me just fine, I was already in that frame of mine where I was one degree of difficulty away from suggesting we leave and go to a bar. I may have said twice that "what would make this perfect is a glass of wine". There was none forthcoming, so we made do without. It was a full room. Full of women.. predictably. Women who loved cupcakes, women who were mothers, women who knew nothing about decorating and women who knew a lot about it. And Jennifer. She was the woman running the class.

Jennifer, centre back.
Jennifer has a zeal regarding baking that borders on the religious, whilst I couldn't quite get on the same page I had to admire her love of the product and also - she's awesome at what she does. Jennifer talked for ages, ages and ages. She talked about cake being the most important substance on earth, it's place in ritual and  where it originated. It was more than I bargained for. I was vaguely worried that CC, my bestie, would be getting restless and bored and when she does that she sometimes groans audibly. I have sat through a couple of pieces of theatre in which CC moved from quiet moans of suffering through louder snorts of derision to openly and quite loudly saying "No more, no more!". So you see, Jennifer's monologue regarding the importance of cake through the ages was a concern for me. But CC hung in, she did roll her eyes afterwards, restrainedly.

Jennifer
Jennifer

Yes, Jennifer again.
Jennifer showed up a couple of rather handy and very clever methods for the application of icing or frosting, the best thing that she said was that we should practise on a bench or a tray, then we could just scrape up the icing and refill the piping bag and try again. That is an awesome idea!!! As opposed to producing mutant cupcakes, which is generally what I do.

Me.
As you can see, I tried to reproduce some of what she did, I had a go at the rose that she made at the top, but my icing fell floppily about and so I jammed a flower on it and pretended that was what I had wanted to do all along. It's there in the mauve.

I did attempt the shrubbery with the flowers and I think that ended up quite pretty, I have to say that the level of stress that I was feeling was quite high. My unnaturally high standards and need for perfection were coming hard up against with my actual level of ability. See the pink flowery looking one, with the yellow flower in the middle? I did that with the wrong nozzle - it still looks quite fetch, but I was deeply concerned as I made it "Not looking perfect, seems weirdly piled up, hers didn't look like this, I might be approaching failure".

Of course no one except me gave a shit how my cupcakes looked and in the end I was happy enough with them. Gabe licked the icing off two of them.

I made some caramel slice today, I've already blogged about this recipe, but I popped them in individual papers and cooked them in a muffin tin. I highly recommend this - it makes them a more manageable size, they look extra pretty and you don't have to hack through them and destroy any possible symmetry.

Wrapped!

Unwrapped!
There are a vast pile of things at my house now, so if you want one please let me know. They are still impossibly rich and after two bites you have to to hunker down for the full battle. I had to take a break, but I made it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m