Skip to main content

Sticky Toffee Loaf - The Comfort of Food

I'm back to the book. David Herbert's wonderful "Best-Ever Baking Recipes". I have been cooking things from this from time to time, but such is my posting malaise I am only now managing to report back.

Why a posting malaise? Not sure really, I note that other, more prolific and famous bloggers also go through this and I imagine that this is my, much tinier and less significant version. In fact a few of my absolute favourite bloggers have slowed right down, if not having stopped entirely. I realise how much I loved those posts, now that I have them no longer. Also some of them used to blog a lot. Thank god for Julia - still posting and still as brilliant as ever.

Anyway sticky toffee loaf and all that conjures up. It's winter here, the most beloved season by my household, and I am in full winter cooking swing. Baked risotto, lamb shanks, casserole, curry... oh swoon, all so lovely and rich and warming and EASY. Screw summer with all it's salads.

This loaf, yes a loaf, was really rather delicious. Fabian even ate some, and he is not a cake guy. It is one of my crosses to bear, that my husband doesn't really like cake. And me, a baker. It makes no SENSE! I do like him to keep his snake hipped figure though so perhaps I should quit complaining.

So, it was big when he ate this - and really loved it. He ruefully loved it. He ate with regret and genuine disappointment in himself that he could not resist. It was touching.  Gabe loved it too - which was unexpected, what with the dates and the strong flavours. There is a reason why this cake is unstoppably good - I will reveal it to you.

Soon.

Sticky Toffee Loaf - David Herbert. 
175 g of pitted dates
1 tsp bicarb
300 ml boiling water
75g of softened butter
185g Caster sugar
2 free range eggs - lightly whipped - I mean, beaten.
210g SR Flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Toffee icing
100ml double cream
100g light brown sugar
40g butter
1 heaped TBL icing sugar

Preheat oven to 180 and grease and line a loaf tin - they recommend 24 x 10cm which I suspect is a standard size. I have two loaf tins and I just chose the smaller one.

Looks like.. I don't know, something gross.
That is step one above in that bowl. Place the dates in a bowl, sprinkle the bicarb over and then pour on the hot water. Let them emulsify. That was my little bit of editorialising then. Emulsify, sounds good. I just looked it up and it's not really correct, but I don't care.

The cat has arrived and is making my blogging so much easier by standing under my nose and butting his head against my shoulder. Louie see's me doing something useless with those big old meat hooks at the end of my arms and he thinks "I can put them to good use on my head, scratching". And then he arrives, he likes to stand directly in front of the keyboard - but he also likes to stand on the keyboard too - he can be diverse. When I don't start scratching him he starts to push his head under my armpit, sometime so forcefully that he slides backwards across the table with all his pushing. Now he stands to my left with his back to me. He don't care. I mean nothing. I love being a cat owner.

Place the butter and sugar together in your electric mixer and mix for 7-8 mins until pale and fluffy. I usually just do as they say, I set a timer and walk away to contemplate my navel for 7-8 minutes. That's a good length of time to do that.  Add that beaten egg a little at a time and beat well between additions. Sift in the flour - then add the dates and their water, and the vanilla. This a wet mix - don't let that perturb you.

So much potential
Bake that sucker for about 45 mins or until it's done. You know the drill. Cool it's heels in the tin for 10 and then turn it out. To fend for itself.

And now the icing. Oh, the icing. This is the secret. The icing is so damn delicious you might not be able to get it onto the loaf - I ate a shitload of it - it makes quite a lot - more then you'll need for the cake - which is such such such a shame.

Combine the sugar, cream and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, give it a stir and then reduce to a simmer. Don't stir it for about 4 or 5 mins- until it is nice and golden. To me it looks nice and golden early on, so I just let it go for 5 mins and all my spidey senses were tingling so I took it off. Set it aside to cool. When it's cool beat in the icing sugar and resist the urge to eat the entire saucepan. Get it on the loaf quick smart!

Oozey!
Quite sexy...












As with all of these sticky date type things they are better when slightly warm. So we tended to cut slices and then warm them up. It was perfect. Caramelly, toffeey, gooey... so delicious. Thank you winter.


Centrefold shot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m