Skip to main content

Warmer, warmer, colder, colder, COLD

I have no compulsion to bake in summer. None. Zero. You may have noticed, if you're a fan of my banal chitchat, that there hasn't been so much of that lately. That's because Melbourne became hotter than Hades. Think eggs fried on bonnets of cars, lungs singed, poets crying and women gnashing their teeth. Mainly me.

Not a fan of the heat. At all. That's WHY I live I live in Melbourne actually. Melbourne is not known for it's temperate climate, instead it's known for freezing winds, unpredictable rain and coffee loving inhabitants. When I visited Seattle I felt right at home. 

So, no baking. Screw that. It was 45 (113) outside and approximately 32 (90) indoors and I was only putting the oven on if I was climbing into it, and things didn't get that bad. Whilst American swirled in their Polar Vortex (which sounds like an evil nemesis) we sweltered in Satan's Underpants. But not anymore.

Here we are in lovely March, the month that used to be the hottest month but has now ceded that honour to January and February, may they rot in hell.

I made a lemon slice and it was lemony and cakey and has a nice crunchy sugar topping. We are all enjoying it very much. Our babysitter Jo liked it so much she photographed the recipe - because that's how the younger folk do it. The recipe is from The Book. the one that I promised to work my way through - and I am still doing that... very slowly.

Crunchy Topped Lemon Slab
250g butter softened
1 Tblsp lemon zest
250g caster sugar
4 free range eggs
275g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100 ml buttermilk (or regular milk with a squeeze lemon)
juice of 1 lemon

Topping
125g granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon.

Preheat the oven to 180 cel because you can, because it is a pleasant 20 cel outside. Grease a 20 x 30cm baking tin, grease the tin and line it with paper.

Put everything into a large bowl and mix it up. Don't over mix it as it will become tough - like that top dog female prisoner who runs the block. Spoon that gentle natured batter into the tin and smooth the top. Cook it for about 30 mins, or until it's slightly browned and pulling away from the sides of the tin.

Let it cool slightly in the tin, not too cool - I think that we're talking Morgan Freeman cool and not Lenny Kravitz cool.

Mix up the topping and spoon it over the whole slice - don't let the sugar melt. Slice it and eat it.


















This slice is more like a cake, and although I don't normally like slice/cake crossover I thought this was pretty delicious. It has a nice buttery crumb. I learned that type of talk from The Great Australian Bake-Off.  A show that I can't get enough of. People bake the whole time! There is also a UK version which I caught a look at and HOLY MOLY not only do people bake but there is a very dashing silver fox who hosts.

Paul Hollywood. Yes, really.
He is a great reason to learn about baking, or just to watch that show. I don't know how well my dough would rise with those piercing blue eyes on me though. Shiver.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m