Skip to main content

You (chocolate and caramel) tart! (amongst other things)

Well, you can't blame me for naming the post thusly, the number of trollop style jokes that fly around when you make tarts is disproportionately large. Clearly demand outstrips supply in the provision of tart related joke telling opportunities. Not sure how to exploit this for gain, but theoretically one could.

Woohoo! Legs in the air. Not tarty at all.
It's was the season to be merry folks and I made a few treats - full disclosure dictates that I need to put the treat making in the context of Book Club and also reference Sue and Michelle. Each year we gather on the Saturday morning before the final book club and we make treats for the group. This year marks the fourth year we have done this and we were as game as ever. And very organised, very, very organised. There is some fun lost when there's no panic - whilst we coasted politely to the denouement of the treat making it was nice, but not frightening and we didn't think that anything would fail. So, yes. Not very exciting. Clearly we have reached a pinnacle of some sort.

We made fudge (Sue), Hazelnut caramel thingies enrobed in chocolate (Michelle) and parmesan and cayenne shortbread (Me). Yes. Savoury. GET OUTTA HERE. I have to make mention of Michelle's adorable habit of saying that something chocolate covered is "enrobed" - making the treat sound like it's biblical and well dressed.

Gettin' enrobed.
I made several other things and in the interest of pure laziness and also getting this blog posted I will simply chat glibly about each one and add a photo. If you really really want the recipe I'll pass it on.

Chocolate Caramel Tarts 
*Modestly points out - this was my first real foray into sweet pastry, and whilst I made a few minor errors it tasted pretty good. 

Single tart
Many tarts












I made these tarts for Christmas day which was celebrated with friends. Friends. Why do we do it with family? Turns out it's much more fun with friends. (Dear family, I'm joking, I like all of you very well and I like seeing you at Christmas).
 
The weather was lovely and the food was great and the company was awesome and Shannon did a very funny and graphical demonstration of the various types of penile piercings available using a chipolata.

Back to the tarts: These were yummy and unbelievably rich - so I recommend that you add a small sprinkle of salt to the caramel, it will help to define the flavour and also cut the fattiness.  That is an actual real cooking tip from me to you.

Chocolate layer cake

I missed my brothers birthday. In my defence it's on the 29th of December and I was thinking about a bunch of other things and had just made it through Christmas. Still. I forgot. So I gaily promised him a cake. And he politely accepted and asked for ganache. Lots of ganache.

Adequate.
 For my own fun I decided to make toffee pecans and stick them to the top. I was very excited by the whole idea of transforming anything into a "toffee something". Not sure that pecans were the right choice, they were tasty but not mind-blowingly delicious. When I go to the trouble of toffee-ing something I want my brains literally blown out of my skull.

Also the cake was a bit dry. But there was lots of ganache - SOOOOOO much ganache. You're welcome Daniel. Happy Birthday.

What actually won the day was a chicken and leek terrine that I had made for fun the same day.



That terrine really was delicious. Brains everywhere.

I didn't take a picture of it because it was a savoury thing and I have made a pledge to only blog about sweet things, seems a bit strange now, what's my problem with savoury food?

It looked a lot like this:

Bliss...
Recipe is here: http://recipes.coles.com.au/recipes/2679/leek-and-chicken-terrine/ - you should actually make it - it's excellent.

Sausage rolls and Vegetable slice

I opened the door and now and I putting a wedge under it and walking firmly through. More savoury. In my ongoing search for things that both adults and children will eat, which are not spaghetti bolognaise, I have been baking a few new things. Or variations on old things.

Good old sausage rolls - these are quasi good for you, but they DO have zucchini and carrot in them - so that makes them partially health food.

Open sesame!
They are delicious, and freezable. And delicious. Slightly finicky to make, in that there are some shenanigans with pastry - but get through your dislike of shenanigans and just buy it.

Here also is a vegie slice that my child loves -

Springy!
Lots of eggs, zucchini, carrot, corn, onion and cheese. With four rashers of bacon. Gabe loves it.

I will try and write a more gratifying post soon, containing less food and more actual banal wittering. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m