Skip to main content

La-la-la-lamingtons

Just the other day it was, it was just the other day that I was saying to my neighbour Tracey "I will never make lamingtons! Nevah!". I went on to list so many good reasons why you wouldn't make them and why you'd buy them instead. Just so many good reasons, they really were pertinent, well expressed and reasonable.

Anyway, I made lamingtons. All my good reasons flew out the door like so many budgerigars attempting to evade capture when I saw a good looking recipe. I am a sucker for a recipe with pictures. Words? Well words are ok, I like words a lot too, but I cannot get excited by the words "butter cake". A picture of butter cake is a different matter, I can get very excited about that. This recipe was bursting at the seams with pictures, it was excellent and it made lamington making sound like a walk in the coconut and chocolate park. Like a doddle. Much like crucifixion. And that really is the only Monty Python joke I'll make in this blog,

The pictures were lovely, the instructions were clear and suddenly I just knew that making lamingtons was  my destiny, that they always had been, and now that my destiny was here I could walk towards it with my hair streaming backwards and my diaphanous white gown flowing. Which is what I did.

Me. A lamington.  A staircase. Bad hair. My destiny.
Photoshopping is quite the art form. Not one that I've mastered obviously, but I get the point across in my own ham-fisted way.

What is a lamington? Well, a small cake, yes. An icon of sorts, yes that's true too. A type of petit four, I could see that, yes. A jam free fancy, no. No it is not that. This is where one of the fundamental arguments about lamingtons occur - some have jam and some don't, some have cream and some don't and some... have jam and cream. There I said it. I really can't see any reason to eat a lamington with no jam. UNLESS you put jam in most of them and were tired and your foot was sort and you really wanted to finish up. It's ok in that case. More on that later.

Lamingtons require a few steps and they are best eaten on the day that they are made. That said I just ate one and it is 3 days old and has been in the fridge. So if you enjoy edible miscellany, like me, then keep 'em and eat 'em.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the envelope please. 
*Pleasing rustling noise and then quiet non verbal sound of appreciation. 
Here are your ingredients:
Cake
125g unsalted butter, very soft - a total pushover.
3/4 cup of castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence or less if you have the gloopy stuff.
2 eggs
1 and 3/4 cup of self raising flour
3/4 cup of milk

Icing
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
20grams of melted butter
3/4 cup boiling water

Coconut
1 and 1/4 cups of dessicated coconut and 1 and 1/4 cups of shredded coconut. I just used dessicated.

Grease and line a 20cm square tin. If you're like me then you spray it with canola spray and jam a piece of paper unevenly in there. I just can't be bothered with lining.

She can't be bothered with lining either.
I have no pictures of the making of the butter cake, it is of no interest how it was made, the interesting part about lamingtons are the following steps. The one's that occur after you have made the butter cake. 

Here is how you make it though... Beat the very soft butter with the sugar until pale and creamy. Pale like a vegetarian vampire and creamy like that scum that floats on the ocean in polluted places. Does that help? Add the two eggs one at a time and BEAT well after each addition. Gabe did this for me and no-one beats an egg like a five year old who is never allowed to hold the electric beater. No-one.

That's right, blonde kid who isn't mine, Wooo!
Alternate the flour and milk with a fluid and delightful folding motion. You are meant to finish with the flour. What on earth difference could it possibly make? That said, I did, You can never be to careful. Smooth it into your tin, like Barry White and then bake that sucker for about 30-35 mins. Or until a skewer is blah blah. Let it cool.

So, the next bit.
Saucily sliced.
Yep. Cut that butter cake into 16 bits. How big? Well just do it evenly and they will be the size that they will be. But if you need a really handy comparison...

Cheery tomato. Or a clown nose. Or a bowling ball.

I wanted jam in my lamingtons, I love them with jam and I had raspberry and strawberry. So I cut the little square through the middle. like this...

Looks like murder, tastes like heaven,
And put ze jam on. And then sandwiched it back together.

Then comes the icing. To make that icing just mix all the ingredients together. I did not add all the water as I was a bit suspicious of how much there was. I couldn't make the last lamington though - not enough icing. Direct correlation to my way of thinking.
Raw

Cooked

The icing is viscous, that is, velvety and smooth but quite wet. It has to be, it has a big job ahead of it.





Take that dear little jammy square and pop it into the icing quickly turning it till it is covered. 

Mid Turn
Then put it into a dish containing a layer of your coconut. I think that it's best to do this in layers as the coconut gets chocolatey.

What will happen to me? Naked and in a bowl of coconut!
Turn turn turn! Keep turning. Pile a bit on for good luck. Then, suddenly...

Sooooo fluffy!
Voila. Adorable non? Repeat 15 more times. Or in my case 14 more times. Plus I got sick of cutting the lamingtons and so some were devoid of jam. I made jolly sure I didn't get those one's.

I hurt my toe at the pool, this is an aside which is meant to kind of explain my laziness re the jam. My toe is bruised and sore and the heat makes it more swollen. So I was over standing and rolling cake in coconut.  Plus Gabe lost interest when he got a flake of coconut on his hand and was all, "This is messy!'. Is he a five year old or not?

Lamingtons. They are delightful. And yes, messy.

Comments

  1. Usually it's just your writing that makes my mouth water; now I'm going to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have just called a toe truck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m