Skip to main content

Surprise! Raspberry Chocolate Cake

I added the exclamation mark, it's fair to say that it wasn't in the recipe as I think it would have placed too much of a burden on the surprise to be really fabulous. It's not really, it's mildly interesting.

The first part of the this recipe extravaganza starts in K-Mart - just me and a four year old. We were both recovering from an almighty tantrum back at home, his, not mine, and so things were a bit delicate. His little face was still a bit wet from tears and I still had tufts of hair knotted through my fingers, mine, not his.

K-Mart - I was there to find some bulbs for the garden, globes for the lighting fixtures and an art folio for Gabe's collected works. Gabriel has passed through his "yellow period" and we are now entering a more Escher-like technical phase. Subject matter is generally ladders and guns.

Holy flaming castles Batman!
We left K-Mart with bulbs (yay), globes (yay), three cake tins (triple yay) and a phone (what the?). I thought we didn't do too badly. Vast general stores like this are usually bad places for me, so I felt that the toll - three cake tins and a phone - was light. One of the cake tins was a special request - in fact two of them were, but this one is the important one... I had long been thinking of making the surprise cake - but it needed a bundt tin. What is that, you ask - it is a round tin with a hole in the middle. Anyway, I don't have one - but the castle cake tin is basically a square with a hole in the middle. What could go wrong? (The other cake tins that I bought were a bundt tin, so my argument has no logic, and a group of smaller dinosaur shapes.. which I loved and Gabe was so-so about).


Surprise Raspberry Chocolate Cake - from the Masterchef magazine. 
Serves 8-10 apparently. Which is news to me as I think that it could serve a freaking army. 

40g butter melted (or you can use spray)
1 cup Dutch Cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise SURPRISE!
2 cups castor sugar
1 1/2 cups of SR flour
1 cup ground almonds
1 tsp bicarb
150g frozen raspberries
100g dark chocolate finely chopped
1 pomegranate
175g icing sugar

Pre - heat the oven to 160c.

The mayonnaise makes it more moist. That's the surprise. I'll let you know what I thought of that at the end. That's the real surprise...

The first step is to grease the tin that you are using - as I was greasing parapets I decided to use a spray - this meant that the next step - taking some of the cocoa and dusting the inside of the tin wasn't quite the raging success that I'd hoped. More of clumpy failure. I stared at it for a while with a sense of foreboding deep in my loins stomach. I don't like things not being perfect.

Beat all the wet stuff together in a bowl - I used an electric mixed - but wished that I had a fancy standalone mixer. I banged on about that last post, so I'll let it go.... for now. Buttermilk, eggs, mayo and 200mls of water. Now, here's my first issue, I think that's too much water - this is a wet mix and yes the cake did cook and set, but I think that if I ever made it again and I won't, ever, I would change that to 100ml. Just saying.
So, so wet...

Dutch Cocoa - almost forgotten

Sift the cocoa, cater sugar, flour, almond meal and bicarb together until they are soft and free flowing. Get rid of all the lumpy misshapen freaks that were living with them. I put them in the bin, that's what I do with freaks around here. Then mix the dry with the wet or the wet with the dry whichever bowl is bigger folks, that's how I determine that type of thing.
Stir them. Don't beat them, it's not their fault. Fold in the berries and the chopped chocky until they are all one, at peace, finding a place of inner calm.



Jesus - look at those crags!

Pour into your novelty pan. Try and ignore that growing sense of unease at the the fiddly little shapes that your really, really wet batter is flowing into and instead think about Ryan Gosling. Mmm Ryan Gosling.

Place gingerly in the oven and bake for an hour - or if you're me, about 50 mins.




I am going to chop you in half Mummy




Try and prevent Darth Vader from jumping around near your cooking cake - cakes don't like that shit.

And neither do mothers.





I was running late for a meet up with my Mum and so had to do one of those cake reveals that Masterchef has made famous - it's therefore appropriate that this is one of their recipes. I took the cake with me "en novelty tin" and unsheathed it at the park.  The whole process was fraught.

Did I mention that the tin is silicone - and a bit on the bendy side. Perhaps not. Anyway, it was touch and go getting it out.
ex novelty tin
"en novelty tin"

It doesn't look that great does it? It had a certain ruined castle charm to it, mainly because of all the air bubbles, but I was hoping for... um... I really don't know.






Then I iced it and made it worse I think.
You... killed... me...
The icing was pomegranate juice and icing sugar together. The pomegranate is a volatile little fruit. I have never dealt with one before today!  The seeds are simply gorgeous - little brilliant scarlet gemstones. They explode and go everywhere tho...

There was something Shakespearean about the cake after the icing - melodramatic. Reminded me of Macbeth for some reason.

And the walls ran with blood and entrails...

Anyway - it tastes fucking weird with the mayo and it's not worth the bother. So there you go. Case closed.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m