Skip to main content

Pineapple, Ginger and Apricot Loaf - but don't let that put you off.

Loaves. They are the dullest member of the cake family. So dull that they usually require butter just to liven them up. They border on being good for you. Some people put nuts in them, I am totally against that - I believe, without fact checking of any kind, that nuts in loaves are against the Geneva Convention. 

This divine little creature that I'm about to furnish you with is a sort of loaf, but don't move to the next blog, don't, don't. Stay here, I will account for all this loaf lauding nonsense. It's loaf-y, but does not require butter and I generally ice this sucker as well. Because I'm a rule breaker. People make rules and I snap them over my knee and laugh. And then rub my knee.

Artists impression of the finished loaf cake.

Ok - a piece of business : Pre heat your oven to 180 and they reckon that you need to double line an 18cm square tin. I single lined a 20 cm one, so there you go -  worked fine. What was their issue?

Now, don't get discouraged but there's a bit of chopping a bit of zesting to be done before we start the actual baking. This is the price that you pay for awesome fruitiness. I was zesting the orange and after looking at it's semi grazed state I was uncomfortably reminded of the those ads that are everywhere that show the motorcycle guy with all the skin missing off his legs and the slogan "It was too hot to wear my gear". This probably won't happen to you, it is the product of my overactive associating mind. It's my price to pay for an unbelievably quick wit and brilliantly glib sleight-of-mouth. The burden is weird mental associations.

Does this remind you of a guy with no skin?

Cut up 225 grams of dried apricots, get the sulphur free one's if you must. Whatever. Add to this 120 grams of chopped glace or crystallised ginger and 120 grams of crystallised pineapple. Pop them in a bowl together - they will be fine like that. I did it and no fights at all. I did make an example of a couple of them though.


See, bless them, happy as Larry all together. And also zest half a lemon and half an orange (reserve the juice from those too, you'll need it). Try not to think about grazing and blood and missing skin.








Cream 170g butter with 150g of castor sugar. I routinely microwave butter, I never leave it out on a sunny window sill, or whatever you're meant to do. I chop it up and then nuke it and it usually melts. So, yeah. Besides I would have been waiting all goddamned day for a sunny sill round here. Can you believe this weather!

Gradually beat three eggs into the sugar/butter mix along with a few drops of vanilla essence. Sift 225g plain flour and a tsp and a half of baking powder together separately and then just throw a bit in once your egg/sugar mix is nice and light. Beat that all together and then fold the rest of the flour mix in. I *think* that's because it keeps it airy - I actually really don't know.

Now, I know that you have a lot of dried fruit sitting there and you're thinking that it seems an awful lot. It is an awful lot, but somehow this works, it's probably something to do with pagan Gods and witchcraft,but don't let that worry you. .

Fold in all your fruit, the zested rinds and the juice, give her a stir around, if the mix is not nice and pliable and doesn't have a "soft dropping consistency" then add a bit of milk until it does.

It tastes really good, go ahead and eat some. I always do, as does Gabe. This is the part actually where he suddenly appeared at my elbow as if summoned from his nap by the licking bowl fairy and said:

"What are you doing? I'll help. Don't do anything else. I'm getting my chair. Did you add eggs? Can I add them? Can I taste that? Where's my water?" Until I bled from the ears and fell to the floor weeping. And gave him the beaters to lick.

The other day on  the tram Gabe and I had climbed on and he sat next to me and was his usual voluble self. As I went to get off an elderly man drily remarked "Chatty little fellow isn't he?". "Dude", I wanted to say "That is the fucking truth." But instead I nodded and gave him that funny half shrug and roll of the eyes and facial contortion that indicated that, although his talking drove me mad I loved it because I was his mother. Which is partly true.





















Pop your gorgeous mix into the lined tin and smooth it over. This is where things get a bit crazy - put it in the oven and leave it there for 20 mins and then turn the oven down to 160 and leave it in for a further - get ready - one and a half to TWO hours. Anyway, mine was done in about 55 mins, keeping in mind that it was in a bigger tin. Just check it like you normally would, when the skewer comes out clean, pull it out.

The same cake after a small attack with a Gimp filter,.
The cake after a small attack





















I always add some plain lemon icing to this - I am a demon for plain lemon icing tho... It is a delicious cake, fruity and gingery with the biting lemon icing and it always turns out beautifully and always tastes great. No joke. :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m