Skip to main content

Sticky Treacle and Ginger Cakes (and poo)

This post will talk a lot about poo, brace yourselves. I had one of those child/poo experiences that made me both glad and sorry Gabe isn't still in nappies. We were visited by the Gastro fairy, a total bitch who give you the shits, makes you tired and then leaves you with a five day malaise to sort out. If that sounds like some one you know, then your friends suck.

When you've spent a weekend wiping your son's backside repeatedly you start to smell poo everywhere. You catch a whiff and think "it's on me, somewhere". Or it's just that your nose is so accustomed to the smell. You can't tell, you are poo de-sensitised.

Gabe was home on Tuesday as the last of the poo ravages left us and so we decided to bake. Because that's fun and we can do it indoors and the weather was pretty damn bad.

Thus the treacle cakes, Gabe wanted cupcakes of course with pink icing. I compromised by putting these little loaves into cupcake tins. So they are meant to be loaf shaped, sue me.

Recipe : (From a CSR advert that I cut out of a magazine)

½ cup (125g) butter
½ cup (100g) Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
½ cup (185g) Treacle or golden syrup
1¼ cups (190g) plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup (160ml) milk

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 170ÂșC conventional (150ÂșC fan forced). Grease and line bases of 10 x ½ cup (125ml) mini loaf pans or friand pans OR a muffin pan. I did a thing that looked cool actually, I decided to use squares of baking paper to line the muffin tin as this gave the cakes a  home made feel. Which they were. But they looked even more so, EVEN more rustic - if possible.

Suddenly I'm thinking of poo again....

2.  Place butter, dark brown sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 mins. Remove from heat and cool.


 


Still thinking about poo, why?










The mixture had a very low key boil type vibe happening. This was a sort of hipster boil.

"Chill man, I'll boil, I'll get there, just let me do it in my own time. Don't rush me".

I am always a bit mystified by toffee type mixtures that claim you should boil and then simmer and not stir too much. Why? What's happening in there?

3. Sift flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients and stir egg, milk and cooled treacle mixture until well combined.

Come on now, this actually really looks like poo..



I totally inaccurately read the amount of milk to add and put in too much. My mix was a bit lumpy and bitty and then it was definitely a bit wet. So, I decided to get out my electric beaters and help it coalesce. This is it, beaten but not stirred.










You shall go to the ball! But I've nothing to wear! Shazam!



Admit it, that looks cool! Don't they look cute, with their little baking paper frills.




4. Bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow the loaves to stand for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack. 




Now don't get upset if they look a bit spongy when they come out, really DO insert a skewer as I found that although they  looked like they weren't cooked, they were. They were "playing raw" like possums play dead.

Take me, take me now!
    I dolloped some good old plain lemon icing on them. And I have to say this, loudly and firmly, they are SO delicious. They have a lovely malty flavour with gorgeous old ginger, that chanteuse, backing the entire thing up with authenticity and heat.The lemon icing is perfect. Wow, they were ace!

    Comments

    1. The opening of this post made me so hungry! A very appetizing start.

      I like lemon icing.

      You are a lemon tart.

      ReplyDelete
    2. How can something that looks so wrong, taste so right?

      I have been lucky enough to experience one of these delightful brown nuggets of goodness, so I can verify that they are moist, well-formed and very satisfying. I've made a copy of the recipe and aim to develop a regular habit of at least one every morning.

      ReplyDelete
    3. If you stir cooking sugar you crystallize it. Grainy sugar syrup/toffee = yuck.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    Let me Rock you

    I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

    Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

    Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

    Sweet Nothings

    That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m