Skip to main content

Kumquat slice - a world first.

Well, possibly, a world first. I googled it and couldn't find anything like this. There are versions that use lemon though, and its all in the (citrus) family...

There is a magnificent kumquat tree on Pigdon street - Gabe and I always stop there because a) he likes to crush the fallen Kumquats under his feet and b) there are a great deal of snails to be found in that garden. I had been building up the courage for weeks to knock on the door and ask if I could take some of the kumquats. Although I am a fairly confident person, I am not much one for the unsolicited conversation. So I knocked on the door (so did Gabe). A woman calls out querulously "Yes?". I ask her about the kumquats. "Oh, yes take as many as you want" - she can't find her keys apparently and so can't open the door to actually look at me.

I plan to come back there next day. The next day I do my back in so devastatingly that I can barely walk around without pain, much less reach into a tree and pick at tiny citrus fruit.

Two weeks later, I make it back. I feel like my mandate to pick may already be over, so I climb on the fence (all the lower fruit have been taken) with a guilty feeling. I get ready to explain myself should the shut -in come bounding out to ask what I'm doing.

I take about 40 kumquats. To give you an idea of the generous proportions of fruit on the tree, my 40 kumquats leaves not even a dent.

Gabe and I go home and begin the extraction of juice. I have chosen to assemble my recipe from three different sources.

The base:
Preheat oven to 170

90 grams melted butter
1/2 cup brown suigar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup almond meal.

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the butter. Stir until it all comes together - you can add a bit more butter if it looks floury, but it should resemble large breadcrumbs, so don't panic. Press that into a lamington tin or slab tin, mine is 18 x 30, the recipe says use 18 x 32 which seems ambitious given that the base seems to just fit mine. Put in the oven for about 12 mins or until browned.

Back to Base (ics)

The Second layer
I stole this from a lemon meringue pie recipe that looked good. I wanted a firm kumquatty curd for the middle. In order to make this, I juiced 40 kumquats, and still didn't quite have 180 mils of juice. So I cheated with a bit of mandarin.

Juicing kumquats is messy work. I'm starting to see why they are so few recipes that include this as a preparation.

56 gms cornflour
170 gms sugar
180 mls of fresh juice (lemon, mandarin, orange, kumquat.. whateva)
230 mls water
60 gms butter
3 large egg yolks

I had a dicey moment when I thought that my trusty electronic scales were going to finally decide that they really did want a new battery (56 gms of cornflour.. honestly)

Combine the first four ingredients in a saucepan and and stir until smooth, cook on med high until it boils. It will thicken quite suddenly. Turn the heat down when it thickens and keep stirring till the mix is looking transparent and had a thick, gloopy consistency. Take it off the heat and let cool for a min. Add the eggs and butter and beat the whole thing soundly. It should look thick and smooth. Cool that sucker way down.

Mmm Kumquatty

Heat the oven to 170 again.

When the two elements are cool layer the curd on the base and stick it in the oven again for about 10 mins. Why? No idea. I just thought that this might kind of solidify it more. Which it did. I was then left with a quandary, how to finish the slice. I wanted to have a meringue top, but meringue has such a short life expectancy.. instead I went with chocolate..

I latticed across some 70% dark Lindt, and it looked pretty good. When I tried it after first being made I was a bit let down. But now a day later I am liking it a lot more, plus it's nicer out of the fridge. Very piquant with a unique citrus flavour, definitely not lemon or orange..I'm looking forward to feeding it to Carolyn tomorrow and seeing her reaction...

finished with the choc
overhead, more dewy angle

With the spare egg whites I made some brown sugar meringues.. Man I love those things!

brown sugar meringue!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me Rock you

I am making Rock Cakes tonight, they are helping me to calm down from a big fight with the kid. We don't fight much, Gabe and I, we are generally in tune with each other. But not tonight. we were so out of tune that the band leader would have thrown his baton to the floor and stomped from the room. Or I would have, Or I did. Whatever. Solid and dependable, strong like man muscle. I want an alcoholic beverage and I want it now. I can't drink though because I am meant to be writing. Ah... yes now you understand why two blog posts in the same day. Avoiding. I am in the process of avoiding. Anyway, it's all temporary - I have to write and because I have to write I can't drink. I can't drink because I am a hopeless drinker. One drink and I'm blearily slow dancing to a song off the Jukebox and then laughing and crying and laughing again. I am basically a Joni Mitchell song when I drink. Spell checker tried to convince me that I wanted juicebox then, not jukebox.

Gestating, Cooking - it's all the same.

Poor old cooking blog. I got distracted by a big project - a big cooking project. The baking of a baby. I wasn't actually pregnant when I made the last post, but I was imminent. How do I know? Science m'friend. Science. In actual fact the making of Katarina was a lot more like baking than the usual making of a child. Kat was made with the help of the bakers at Monash IVF - and I have to say that we didn't hold much hope for the process. Shows what we know. We decided mid 2014 that we weren't going to keep trying to have a baby. We gave up. The boat had been missed, the ship had sailed and other nautical terms to mean we were done. And then my Dad offered to pay for IVF. And my friend April implored me in a heart felt manner to try "just once". We thought about it. I have a sort of ideological issue with IVF which hasn't entirely gone away with the using of it. I feel that if you can't get pregnant naturally then that might be a message from

Sweet Nothings

That's what I've been putting here. Sweet nothing(s). Sweet FA, as they say. I even surprised myself when I saw that it had been 6 months. I have been adding things to my writey blog though and so it hasn't been a time of complete indolence. I have been baking though - quite interesting thingies and so I'd like to share that with you whilst I wait for another boring IT process to finish running in the BG. That's Background for you non-IT types - you lucky things. Dat kitten bored... Let me digress delightfully for a moment and say that the number of C&W tunes playing on my Pandora station are disproportionately high given that I only said yes to Carrie Underwood. Right now I am listening to a guy talk about how rain is a good thing because it makes whiskey. Honestly how can anyone listen to this without laughing? I am seriously asking that question. I'm not apologising for the kitten picture either. Until someone apologises to me for the C&W m